Cape Palos (Spanish: Cabo de Palos) is a cape in the Spanish municipality of Cartagena, in the region of Murcia.
It is part of a small range of volcanic mounts that form a small peninsula. The Mediterranean islands of Grosa and the group known as the Hormigas Islands are part of this range, as well as the islands in theMar Menor (“Little Sea”). The name "Palos" is derived from the Latin word palus, meaning lagoon, a reference to the Mar Menor. According to Pliny the Elder and Rufus Festus Avienus, there was once a temple dedicated to Baal Hammon on the promontory of the cape, which later became associated with the cult of Saturn.
During the reign of Philip II of Spain, a watchtower was built on the promontory as a defense measure against theBarbary Pirates. A battle off the cape took place on June 19, 1815 between US naval forces and the Barbary Pirates. During the Spanish Civil War, the Battle of Cape Palos took place near the cape in 1938.